Friday, March 8, 2013

Dog Birthday!

Dog Birthday Cake
Our dear friends wanted to celebrate their dog's first birthday.....and who wouldn't? So, we helped out and made some of the party goods. I thought that was the least we could do since we did tag along when they took her home for the first time.  Here is the cake I made using the recipe below.  Super easy and I modified it to work with the stuff I already had in the kitchen cabinet. Easy peasy.

2-½ cups water
½ cup canned pumpkin
1 egg (slightly beaten)
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup peanut butter (chunky)
3-½ cups whole wheat flour
½ cup oats
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon cinnamon

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, thoroughly mix water, pumpkin, egg, vanilla, and peanut butter. In a large bowl, combine flour, oats, baking powder, and cinnamon. Mix wet and dry ingredients together and stir well. Spoon into a greased 6 inch pan till about 2/3 full. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until firm (but not too brown). Cool completely and store in an open container or paper bag in the refrigerator. I used my daughter's first birthday cake pan (a 6 inch round) and it made two of those.

As always though use common sense and don't let your pup eat the whole thing. Moderation is key. I made this and only let my dog and its guest eat a small amount. I got a cute picture of her eating it for a photo then took it away and gave her only a small chunk. Of course, they would like to eat the whole thing but it "could" upset their stomach. Since, this is different than their normal everyday diet.

I also made a little cake stand.  Guess how much?  Less than two bucks.  The plate is from Walmart less than $1....I think 86¢ to be exact and $1 candle stick from the Dollar Tree.  I spray painted it with some spray paint I already had and hot glued it on the plate. 

Dog party

Here's the invite. I sell them now in my Etsy shop. She didn't want anything too formal so she just emailed it to the party goers. Personally, I would have printed those dudes out and mailed'em off. With matching envelope liners, of course. Stay tuned for pictures of the actual party.  I loved helping out because this makes it so easy for my own doggies party coming up in April.  Hard work is already done!

34 comments:

  1. Very cute cake! I'm going to use your recipe for my pup's first birthday this weekend! :) I'm just curious what you used for frosting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. what did you use as the frosting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just used regular cream cheese frosting in the baking section. I was told in small amounts its was ok for dogs:)

      Delete
  3. Is this edible for the dogs?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You don't mention how much nutmeg you used in the ingredients but it's included in your instructions. How much did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops. Sorry, I ended up omitting it but forgot to take it out of the directions. It's a dog cake. They usually aren't too picky:)

      Delete
    2. Well very small amounts of nutmeg usually don't cause issues in dogs, cinnamon and nutmeg in larger amounts can have very negative effects on your dogs health. So even though I often see things like cinnamon in pet friendly recipes I try to avoid the ingredients use at all with animals. If someone giving over a tsp. can cause issues I don't see the need in allowing them to have any at all. http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/2013/11/nutmeg-cinnamon-toxicity/

      Delete
  6. Can you use creamy peanut butter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure that will be fine. It might even be better.

      Delete
  7. Where did you find the name banner or did you handmake it? Too cute!!! thanks in advance. lauryn8099@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did make it. I used to sell them in my Etsy shop but when I moved I quit because the straws I used went into storage. Glad you liked it:)

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  9. You mention mini muffin pan and then something about a 6 inch pan but the picture looks like 2 of 8-9 inch round cake pans. Can you please specify?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,

      Sorry about that. Yes you could use a mini muffin pan but I did use a 6 inch pan for what is pictured. I updated the recipe to specify.

      Thanks,
      Lisa

      Delete
  10. This recipe looks amazing! If I was making it for 4-6 dogs should I double the ingredients or will it be ok? I have never really baked before but I am throwing a birthday party for my little man's first birthday and all his dog palls are coming

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't double it. It should be fine for that many dogs since you should really only give them a little chunk.

      Hope your paw-ty turns out great!

      Delete
  11. Thank you so much his cake turned out amazing! Here is a picture..
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/v2xnvony91wsvrz/IMG_20150902_163459.jpg?dl=0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love it! Thanks so much for providing us a picture.

      Lisa

      Delete
  12. Had a slice of this with my pup for her birthday today. We loved it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Came across your recipe on Pinterest and loved it! Our dog's birthday was today and we used your recipe. We frosted the cake with a cream cheese/peanut butter frosting (we used whipped cream cheese because it was so easy to spread). For the dog bones on the side, we used the Milk Bones Gravy Bones because they are a pretty color (four different glazed looking colors). It was a terrific hit (you can see the pictures on Instagram @dec_the_big_red_dog). Thanks for sharing the recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have one dog, it seems like a lot of cake. What do I fo with the rest? Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also have ONE dog. The cake is more for statement. That's why I chose a cake over a cupcake. I threw most of our cake out....you have to use common sense and give it in moderation;)

      Delete
  15. How did you make the name sign? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually used to sell these in my Etsy shop.....but no longer. I used my Silhouette machine to make it. I hope that helps:)

      Delete
  16. What else could you use for frosting??

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was sent this comment from my contact form. Alicia, I would love to see a picture of it!

    I made this last night for my dogs 5th birthday party and hike today. I
    baked it in a pan the shape of a paw! I'm sure all of his buddies will love
    it today! -Alicia @ www.GirlonaHike.com

    Regards,
    Alicia & Charlie the dog

    ReplyDelete
  18. What size milk bones did you use? Large? Or medium?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Greetings!! Amazing...i love it!! How did you make the frosting?

    ReplyDelete
  20. How many servings is this cake?

    ReplyDelete

I promise to reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...