Thursday, December 17, 2009

Lemon Spaghetti Recipe: Using California Olive Oil


I was given the opportunity to try California Olive Ranch Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) courtesy of MomSelect.  I love using olive oil to cook with because it has healthy omega 3 fats unlike vegetable oil that I used in the past until I found out how great olive oil is for you.

Did you know that extra virgin olive oil is the top grade....and the most expensive?  True extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) can't have flavor "defects" - moldy olives, for example, can make the oil musty.  California is the only state that has legally adopted the international standards for any olive oil sold in the state. Wow, this information was new to me until recently that I wanted to share with you too.

I have one recipe in particular that I love that I use olive oil in which is lemon spaghetti.  I hope you like it too.  It's quick, easy, and light.

Lemon Spaghetti
Prep Time: 10 min Inactive Prep Time: -- Cook Time: 8 min Level:

Easy Serves: 6 servings

Ingredients
* 1 pound spaghetti
* 1/3 cup olive oil
* 2/3 cup grated Parmesan
* 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (about 3 lemons)
* Salt and freshly ground black pepper
* 1 tablespoon lemon zest
* 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil leaves

Directions

Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Meanwhile, whisk the oil, Parmesan, and lemon juice in a large bowl to blend.

Drain the pasta, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid. Toss the pasta with the lemon sauce, and the reserved cooking liquid, adding 1/4 cup at a time as needed to moisten. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with lemon zest and chopped basil.

You can also use linguini if you don't have spaghetti on hand.  I usually add shrimp to mine too.  It just seems to stay with you longer if have some type of meat in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I promise to reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...